Connect with us

NEWS

We’ve disarmed SARS officers with immediate effect – Lagos CP

Published

on

Hakeem Odumosu, Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, says he has complied with the directive of the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, disbanding the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Themoneymetrics reports.

Odumosu, who addressed a group of lawyers protesting police brutality as part of the raging #EndSARS campaign, said already policemen under SARS had been disarmed and their offices shut down.

He added that the suspects in their custody had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department in Panti for the continuation of investigations.

He assured the protesting lawyers that they would never find any SARS operative in operation again.

The CP said, “As to the directive of the Inspector-General of Police for disbandment (of SARS), if you come here now you will see them (SARS officers) in the regular police uniform. They’ve been disbanded, all their arms have been collected; the cases they were handling and the suspects have been transferred to the State CID, Panti for continuation of investigation.

“All these I have done in compliance with the Inspector-General’s directive. You should understand that in Lagos, we have many police formations; we have, for example, the Special Fraud Unit, traditionally, they are not to carry arms, they are in mufti; equally, we have the Force CID personnel in Alagbon, they are not carrying arms and they are not to be in uniform, all these are specialised arms of the police. But the one that the IG has disbanded now has been disbanded from that day. If you go to their offices now in Surulere, Gbagada, they are under lock and key; we only posted policemen there now to guard the places. They are no more functioning.”

Odumosu, who commended the protesters led by a human rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, for their maturity and decorum, added that no single participant in the #EndSARS protest has been killed by the police since the protest started last week.

He said the person who died from a stray bullet at Surulere on Monday, was not a protester but a driver, who came of his car to check the cause of the gridlock on the road.

Odumosu added that police officers seen in a viral video harassing a female protester had been arrested and put in the cell.

Earlier, Effiong said the police ought not to attack protesters because part of their demands was better welfare and service conditions for policemen.

He said, “We are also calling for proper funding for the police. I feel ashamed as a Nigerian, my citizenship is constantly called to question, every time I pass by a police college, police barracks, and police quarters. They are not fit for human habitation. And that is why we get angry when you attack us when we protest peacefully because you are also victims of the failure of the Nigerian state.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

NEWS

No Nigerian can find a reason to why the President has remained silent on Lekki toll gate shooting – Bishop Kukah

Published

on

The Bishop of the Catholic diocese of Sokoto, Mathew Kukah has also joined other Nigerians in expressing concern with President Buhari’s continous silence over the Lekki Toll Gate shooting.

The cleric who featured in a Channels Television programme on Wednesday October 21, stated that Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo’s apology over the shooting was to compensate for the president’ silence.

Kukah averred that there is no reason for the President’s continous silence as he pointed out that youths are risking their lives to fight for their rights. He added that the only way out is for the President to “let them know someone feels their pain.”

He said;

“I really cannot understand this. I feel totally helpless in the sense that I cannot find any reason and I don’t think any Nigerian in the right frame of mind can find a reason to why the president has remained so silent on this crisis.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

Governor Umahi imposes 24-hour curfew in Ebonyi state

Published

on

Governor David Umahi has imposed a 24-hour curfew in Ebonyi state which became effective from 7pm on Wednesday October 21.

The Governor who condemned the attacks on police stations and the destruction of government infrastructures, stated that the peaceful protest by the youths have been infiltrated by hoodlums and cultists.

Umahi noted that security operatives in the state have sustained injuries from the attacks, and also called on the security agencies to block all the borders of the state in order to protect lives and properties.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Lekki Concession Company denies removing the CCTVs at the tollgate

Published

on

The Lekki Concession Company has denied claims it removed the CCTVs at the Lekki-Victoria Island tollgate just before the shooting of protesters on Tuesday, October 20.

The photo above went viral on Tuesday with protesters claiming the man was at the tollgate removing the CCTV.

Read the statement from the company below

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow us on Twitter

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 89 other subscribers

Trending