Nigerian Stock Market against headwinds printed bullish this week cumulatively.
The NSE All-Share Index and Market Capitalization appreciated by 2.92% to close the week at 26,319.34 and N13.755 trillion respectively.
A total turnover of 1.567 billion shares worth N20.559 billion in 18,396 deals was traded this week by investors on the floor of the Exchange, in contrast to a total of 1.139 billion shares valued at N12.692 billion that exchanged hands last week in 17,109 deals.
- The Financial Services industry (measured by volume) led the activity chart with 1.178 billion shares valued at N9.180 billion traded in 9,900 deals; thus contributing 75.14% and 44.65% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
- The Consumer Goods Industry followed with 90.002 million shares worth N1.688 billion in 2,715 deals. The third place was the ICT industry, with a turnover of 84.667 million shares worth N5.786 billion in 771 deals.
- Trading in the top three equities namely Sterling Bank, FBN Holdings Plc, and Zenith Bank Plc.(measured by volume) accounted for 612.805 million shares worth N4.311 billion in 3,739 deals, contributing 39.10% and 20.97% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
- Thirty-five (35) equities appreciated at price during the week, higher than thirty-two (32) equities in the previous week.
- Twenty-eight (28) equities depreciated in price, lower than thirty-one (31)equities in the previous week, while one hundred (100) equities remained unchanged, same as one hundred (100) equities recorded in the previous week.
NIGERIAN BREW. PLC. up 25.12% to close at N52.55
CORNERSTONE INSURANCE PLC up16.39% to close at N0.71
LAFARGE AFRICA PLC. up 15.77% to close at N15.05
CONSOLIDATED HALLMARK INSURANCE PLC up 9.68% to close at N0.34
TRANS-NATIONWIDE EXPRESS PLC. up 9.33% to close at N0.82
INTERNATIONAL BREWERIES PLC. up 9.09% to close at N3.60
PRESTIGE ASSURANCE PLC up 9.09% to close at N0.60
FLOUR MILLS NIG. PLC. up 8.59% to close at N21.50
PRESCO PLC up 8.16% to close at N53.00
LASACO ASSURANCE PLC. up 8.00% to close at N0.27
AIICO INSURANCE PLC. down 20.00% to close at N0.72
RED STAR EXPRESS PLC down 16.90% to close at N3.00
OANDO PLC down 11.74% to close at N2.03
N NIG. FLOUR MILLS PLC. down 10.00% to close at N4.05
CHAMPION BREW. PLC. down 10.00% to close at N0.81
UNIVERSITY PRESS PLC. down 9.55% to close at N1.42
DAAR COMMUNICATIONS PLC down 9.09% to close at N0.30
WAPIC INSURANCE PLC down 8.11% to close at N0.34
LINKAGE ASSURANCE PLC down 7.32% to close at N0.38
ROYAL EXCHANGE PLC. down 6.90% to close at N0.27
Surprisingly, the Nigerian bourse against all prevailing macros printed impressive gains, as Investors cashed in with over N390 billion WoW. Buying pressures notably from Nigerian Breweries, Flour mills, Lafarge lifted, investors morale across the market spectrum
- In spite of falling crude oil prices and prevailing dollar scarcity, Nairametrics observed significant Institutional buying in some notable blue-chip stocks, as Investors re-align their stock portfolios ahead of Q4,2020
- That said, the surprising interest rate reduction of 100 basis points by Nigeria’s central bank this week, could partly be responsible for the lukewarm performance of Nigerian banking stocks this week, as no Nigerian banking stock made the top ten gainers list, on the bias that interest rates play a very important role in their profit margins in the mid-term
Nigeria’s stock market soars amid plunge in CWG and IKEJAHOTEL
Nigeria’s stock exchange market ended today’s trading session bullish, posting a profit at the end of the trading session. The All-Share Index increased by +0.18% to close at 38,482.52.
• The Nigerian Stock Exchange market value currently stands at N20.3Trillion. Its Year-to-Date (YTD) returns currently stands at -4.44%.
• The market breadth closed positive today as UPL led 15 Gainers, and 20 Losers were topped by CWG at the end of the session showing a consolidation as movement is not certain.
1. UPL up +9.38% to close at N1.40
2. REGALINS up +8.16% to close at N0.53
3. VERITASKAP up +5.00% to close at N0.21
4. CHIPLC up +4.17% to close at N0.75
5. ROYALEX up +3.90% to close at N0.80
1. CWG down -9.66% to close at N1.87
2. IKEJAHOTEL down -9.09% to close at N1.00
3. NASCON down -8.78% to close at N13.50
4. JOHNHOLT down -8.62% to close at N0.53
5. LINKASSURE down -8.33% to close at N0.55
• Market sentiments trend towards the bulls as 15 gainers outweighed 20 losers.
Custodian Investment declares final dividend of N2.65 billion to shareholders
Custodian Investment Plc has announced the payment of a final dividend of 45 kobo for every share of 50 kobo held by shareholders.
The Board of Directors of Custodian Investment Plc has announced the payment of a final dividend of 45 kobo for every share of 50 kobo held by shareholders, making a total of N2.65 billion to be paid to shareholders for the year ended 2020.
This is according to a disclosure signed by the company’s secretary, Adeyinka Jafojo, which was sent to the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
According to the notification, the accrued final dividend will be disbursed electronically to qualified shareholders on the 22nd of April, 2021, subject to appropriate withholding tax and approval from the Annual General Meeting scheduled the same day.
It is also worth noting that the company had paid an interim dividend of 10kobo for the half-year period of 2020.
What you should know
The qualifying conditions for payment on the aforementioned date are;
- Only shareholders, whose names appear in the register of members as at close of business on 9th of April, 2021 will be considered for payment.
- Shareholders must have completed the E-Dividend registration.
- Shareholders must have mandated the Registrar (Meristem Registrars and Probate Service Limited) to pay their dividends directly into their bank accounts.
- Custodian Investment Plc has total shares outstanding of 5,881,864,195 and currently trading at N6.
- A total dividend of 55 kobo has been thus declared for FY 2020 (45 kobo+10 kobo interim).
In lieu of this, the register of members will be closed from 12th-16th of April 2021 (both dates inclusive).
Custodian Investment Plc had recently posted an impressive financial performance, evident by a surge in key financial metrics for the year ended 2020. For example, it recorded the following;
- Profit after tax of N12.69 billion for the year (+111% YoY).
- Profit Before Tax of N13.69 billion. (+69.6% YoY)
- Earnings per share N194 vs N97. (+111.04% YoY)
- Retained Earnings of N25.38 billion (+9.7% YoY).
NB Plc to pay N5.52 billion dividend, says shareholders can receive new shares
The board of Nigerian Breweries Plc has proposed N5.52 billion as dividend to shareholders for 2020.
Nigerian Breweries Plc is set to reward shareholders of the company with N5.52 billion as dividend for the period ended 31st December 2020.
This is in line with the Board’s recommendation as the dividend is subject to the deduction of the appropriate withholding tax, and approval by shareholders of the company at the Annual General Meeting slated for 22nd of April 2021.
According to the notification issued by the Company Secretary, Uaboi G. Agbebaku, at the close of trading activities, the dividend declared by Nigerian Breweries on a per-share basis was pegged at 69 kobo per share. This puts the total dividend to be paid to shareholders at N5,517,862,415.19.
Shareholders can opt to receive new shares of the company
The Board of the Company however provided shareholders with the option to receive new shares of Nigerian Breweries, as Qualifying Shareholders have the right of election to receive new ordinary shares in the company instead of the final dividend in cash. This election is required to be made on or before the 10th of April, 2021.
In view of this, the Reference Share Price for the purpose of determining the number of shares due to Qualifying Shareholders who elect for the share option will be a ten-day trading average of the Company’s share price on the floor of The Nigerian Stock Exchange, starting on the 11th of March, 2021.
What you should know
- It is important to note that the dividend declared is subject to appropriate withholding tax and the approval of shareholders at the Brewer’s next Annual General Meeting.
- Qualifying Shareholders: The dividend will be paid to shareholders whose names appear in the Register of Members as at the close of business on the 10th of March, 2021.
- Payment Date: On the 23rd of April, 2021, the dividends will be paid electronically to Qualifying Shareholders
- To qualify for the dividend payment: Shareholders who are yet to complete the e-dividend registration are advised to download the Registrar’s E-Dividend mandate Activation Form, which is available at, complete same and submit to the Registrar of their respective Banks.