Connect with us

NEWS

“Lecturers can’t work on empty stomach” ASUU declares indefinite strike

Published

on

On Monday, there were serious indications that students of public universities in the country would stay at home further as the Academic Staff Union of Universities dismissed the Federal Government’s directive that all educational institutions in the country should resume on Monday next week, Themoneymetrics reports.

The National President of ASUU, Prof Biodun Ogunyemi, in a telephone interview with The PUNCH,  said the Federal Government was not sincere about negotiations with the union, adding that lecturers would not resume on an empty stomach.

Ogunyemi specifically took a swipe at the Accountant General of the Federation, Mr Ahmed Idris, for violating a directive of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), that lecturers’ salaries should be paid.

He hinted that Nigerians should be ready for a long-drawn strike in universities with the way government was handling negotiations.

Also, the Non-Academic Staff  Union on Monday said the Federal Government’s Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System was not transparent, saying many of its members were being cheated.

Both  NASU and the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities began a 14-day warning strike on Monday over the adoption of the IPPIS  in universities and non-payment of minimum wage to their members.

The Minister of Education Adamu Adamu, had, at a media briefing in Abuja on Friday,  said government had approved the reopening of educational institutions beginning from Monday, October 12.

Recall that all educational institutions in the country were shut in March following the outbreak of COVID-19.

But before March, the Federal Government and ASUU had been at loggerheads over the IPPIS,  which the later said   should not be adopted in universities because it would violate their autonomy.

Buhari, during the presentation of the 2020 budget in October last year, ordered ministries, departments and agencies to migrate to the IPPIS as part of efforts to check fraud.

On March 23, ASUU began an indefinite strike to force the Federal Government to implement its agreements with lecturers and protest against the IPPIS .

Responding to a question on when the strike would end, Ogunyemi stated, “You can’t expect people to go back to their offices on an empty stomach. You don’t expect my members to suspend this action when their demands have not been met. It is a very clear decision that anybody will  make in  this circumstance.”

He said that on August 18, ASUU wrote the Federal Government, stating that it was ready to demonstrate its University Transparency Accountability Solution, which it designed as alternative to the IPPIS. According to him, the union did not receive government’s reply until September 30.

Explaining contents of the letters, he stated, “They said they were considering our requests for a meeting. Mainly, we raised two points in the letter we wrote to them, that we are ready to demonstrate our platform which is the alternative to the IPPIS.  We had earlier presented it to the Ministry of Education, although we told the Ministry of Labour that they should facilitate presentation to other stakeholders, particularly the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation. It is from there we are being dribbled.”

Withholding our salaries not good for negotiations – Union

Berating the AGF, ASUU president stated,  “The AGF has withheld salaries of our members. The salaries withheld range from three months to eight months and I don’t think that is good negotiations. If you think you can use hunger as a weapon of war against Nigerian academics,  it means the government is not sincere about building an enviable university system in Nigeria.

“All these games of arm- twisting, intimidation and manipulation will not take them far and that is why we want Nigerians to prevail on the AGF to stop this attack on our members.  He is using hunger as a weapon of war and he should get ready to be tried for genocide.

Govt wants to  frustrate our payment platform – Lecturers

“We have reasons to believe they are trying to frustrate the new platform we have developed and we are not going to take that kindly because we used the contributions of our members to develop that platform. We didn’t take a kobo from government because we thought we should demonstrate patriotism.”

He recalled that at a meeting between the union and the government held on March 17,  issues such as visitation panel to universities, earned academic allowances and revitalisation of the institutions were discussed.

“I want to assure Nigerians that while the AGF may claim that he is achieving his objectives by humiliating some lecturers,  we have a vast majority of our lecturers who are resolute and they are ready and steady in the ongoing struggle and at the appropriate time the showdown will come and Nigerians will see the truth about what is behind the IPPIS,” Ogunyemi stated.

Efforts to   get reactions of the  Director of Information in the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, Henshaw Ogubike, did not succeed as   he had  not responded to questions sent  to his phone as of the time of sending this report.   He had earlier requested that the questions should be sent to his phone.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

NEWS

Cars destroyed as #EndSARS protesters were allegedly attacked at Lekki toll gate

Published

on

End SARS protesters have accused hoodlums of attacking them on Friday October 16, as they continued their protests at the Lekki toll gate.

The protesters who have been demanding for an end to police brutality alleged that they were attacked early this morning and some cars were scattered.

Photos from the scene show cars destroyed, including a Range Rover and a Lexus.

This isn’t the first alleged attack on End SARS protesters. On Thursday, October 15, thugs poured out of a huge bus to attack protesters in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos. They were armed with machetes and other harmful objects. Prior to that, protesters in Abuja were attacked on Wednesday, October 14, by thugs.

To protect themselves, protest organizers hired private security to guard protesters across different states in the country. However, the alleged attack at Lekki happened very early and took protesters by surprise.

Below are tweets from Lekki End SARS protesters calling for help.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Twitter CEO, Jack Dorsey tweets ‘#EndSARS’ again after being threatened by former presidential aspirant Garba Adamu

Published

on

Twitter CEO has tweeted his support for the #EndSARS movement again after being threatened by former presidential aspirant, Adamu Garba.

Garba asked Jack Dorsey to stay away from Nigerian politics and threatened to sue him for supporting a protest that “has transformed into a political agitation, capable of breaking law and order in the country”.

The threat came after Dorsey tweeted support for the protests holding in Nigeria to end SARS and police brutality.

Following Garba’s threats, Dorsey tweeted again.

“#EndSARS” he wrote simply with an emoji of a raised fist in the colours of the Nigerian flag.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Video of officers of disbanded SARS unit allegedly breaking into people’s homes, assaulting and whisking them away in Yaba and Surulere

Published

on

Some Nigerians including celebrities have raised an alarm of some operatives of the disbanded SARS unit allegedly breaking into people’s homes Pedro community of Surulere, Lagos state.

The alleged officers of the defunct police unit were also accused of assaulting and whisking people away in a police van they allegedly stormed the community with. It was also alleged that there’s been raids in Ojuelegba, Shomolu, Yaba areas of Lagos state.

Actress Adunni Ade wrote;

I cannot confirm how true this is. I have been tagged severally on this video from different posts. My DM’s with multiple videos , text and all. In the case of it being true Sir,
@jidesanwoolu @jidesanwoolu @jidesanwoolu Sir, how true is this Sir? The disbanded SARS officers still have access to work? Picking up men at night? Shooting? Could you confirm where this men are been taken to?
This is said to have happened at Feyisara close, close to Pedro police station in somolu. Please send help Sir.

I cannot confirm how true this is but my damn DM’s is full with this. I am only posting this just in case it is true.
HER NAME IS BISOLA!!!! She was caught recording my previous video. Good enough isge was able to post the videos before they got to her. Anyone close to Pedro police station in somolu???? @jidesanwoolu @jidesanwoolu please im not sure who you could send since the police are doing this but please look into this. I pray this young Lady isn’t touched! What is this???
UPDATE TOLD SHES OKAY NOW


Here are more tweets below;

Watch the video below…

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow us on Twitter

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 87 other subscribers

Trending