Connect with us

NEWS

FG unveils new rules for reopening of schools

Published

on

On Thursday, the Federal Government announced fresh guidelines for the reopening of schools in the country, Themoneymetrics reports.

The National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Sani Aliyu, made this known during a briefing in Abuja.

Schools in the country had been shut for more than four months as part of measures to curb the spread of the novel disease.

But the PTF had okayed the reopening of schools in August with some subnational already reopening primary, secondary and tertiary institutions in their states. TopNaija had earlier reported that FG ordered all Unity Schools in the country to resume with effect from October 12.

Giving an update on Thursday, Aliyu said, “The Federal Ministry of Education, the PTF and the NCDC (Nigeria Centre for Disease Control) have developed guidelines to ensure schools can reopen, minimise the risk of transmission and continue to operate safely.

“Schools and educational bodies that plan to reopen must have detailed communication protocols that include parents, school health teams, school authorities and local (and) state officials.

“They must also have a system for providing regular updates for parents, staff and relevant authorities as well as communicate changes to procedures effectively and clearly as well as taking effective measures to understand how COVID-19 can spread and how to mitigate the spread in line with official guidelines.

“Specifically, school authorities have the responsibilities to ensure that everyone gaining access to their schools is screened properly, is wearing a mask and sanitising their hands.

“Boarding schools must have identified areas for screening and putting positive students aside.

“There must be access to running water and handwashing facilities. The health staff, particularly in boarding schools, must be trained and provided with PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).

“There must be appropriate waste management systems.

“Health facilities that are within the schools that serve the schools should have the ability to cater for an outbreak and a response protocol must be in place for these schools for students who test positive. In this regard, it is important to involve their parents and make sure that parents have signed consent forms in advance.

“Schools should also work in synergy with the local government rapid response teams and collaborate with the state ministries of health on planning, implementation and reopening of schools.

“We encourage schools to consider creative solutions to abide by these guidelines.”

On his part, the PTF Chairman, Boss Mustapha, stressed that states have the responsibility to ensure the safe reopening of schools.

Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, said, “The Federal Government has just 105 schools all over the nation that are reopening. Over 18,000 schools do not belong to the Federal Government; they belong to states and private proprietors.

“The control of schools in the state, particularly primary and secondary schools, is the responsibility of the state government. They are supposed to ensure compliance.

“Different states fixed different dates for the reopening of schools. So, the responsibility of ensuring that these schools comply with the guidelines is vested on state and local government authorities and that we expect they will do.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

NEWS

Cars destroyed as #EndSARS protesters were allegedly attacked at Lekki toll gate

Published

on

End SARS protesters have accused hoodlums of attacking them on Friday October 16, as they continued their protests at the Lekki toll gate.

The protesters who have been demanding for an end to police brutality alleged that they were attacked early this morning and some cars were scattered.

Photos from the scene show cars destroyed, including a Range Rover and a Lexus.

This isn’t the first alleged attack on End SARS protesters. On Thursday, October 15, thugs poured out of a huge bus to attack protesters in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos. They were armed with machetes and other harmful objects. Prior to that, protesters in Abuja were attacked on Wednesday, October 14, by thugs.

To protect themselves, protest organizers hired private security to guard protesters across different states in the country. However, the alleged attack at Lekki happened very early and took protesters by surprise.

Below are tweets from Lekki End SARS protesters calling for help.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Twitter CEO, Jack Dorsey tweets ‘#EndSARS’ again after being threatened by former presidential aspirant Garba Adamu

Published

on

Twitter CEO has tweeted his support for the #EndSARS movement again after being threatened by former presidential aspirant, Adamu Garba.

Garba asked Jack Dorsey to stay away from Nigerian politics and threatened to sue him for supporting a protest that “has transformed into a political agitation, capable of breaking law and order in the country”.

The threat came after Dorsey tweeted support for the protests holding in Nigeria to end SARS and police brutality.

Following Garba’s threats, Dorsey tweeted again.

“#EndSARS” he wrote simply with an emoji of a raised fist in the colours of the Nigerian flag.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Video of officers of disbanded SARS unit allegedly breaking into people’s homes, assaulting and whisking them away in Yaba and Surulere

Published

on

Some Nigerians including celebrities have raised an alarm of some operatives of the disbanded SARS unit allegedly breaking into people’s homes Pedro community of Surulere, Lagos state.

The alleged officers of the defunct police unit were also accused of assaulting and whisking people away in a police van they allegedly stormed the community with. It was also alleged that there’s been raids in Ojuelegba, Shomolu, Yaba areas of Lagos state.

Actress Adunni Ade wrote;

I cannot confirm how true this is. I have been tagged severally on this video from different posts. My DM’s with multiple videos , text and all. In the case of it being true Sir,
@jidesanwoolu @jidesanwoolu @jidesanwoolu Sir, how true is this Sir? The disbanded SARS officers still have access to work? Picking up men at night? Shooting? Could you confirm where this men are been taken to?
This is said to have happened at Feyisara close, close to Pedro police station in somolu. Please send help Sir.

I cannot confirm how true this is but my damn DM’s is full with this. I am only posting this just in case it is true.
HER NAME IS BISOLA!!!! She was caught recording my previous video. Good enough isge was able to post the videos before they got to her. Anyone close to Pedro police station in somolu???? @jidesanwoolu @jidesanwoolu please im not sure who you could send since the police are doing this but please look into this. I pray this young Lady isn’t touched! What is this???
UPDATE TOLD SHES OKAY NOW


Here are more tweets below;

Watch the video below…

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow us on Twitter

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 87 other subscribers

Trending