The world’s second most valuable crypto by market value, Ethereum, is on steroids, taking into account high buying interests seen by global investors, as it approaches $1,000.
Ethereum has gained more than 285% in 2020, and it seems the party for its investors is just starting amid recent price action revealing high demand for the popularly known utility crypto.
What you should know: At the time of writing, Ethereum traded at $962.45 with a daily trading volume of $47.5 Billion. Ethereum is up 24.31% for the day.
What this means: That said, the number of Ethereum wallets in profits just hit an all-time high. Data retrieved from Glassnode, reveals Ethereum owners are obviously smiling to the bank at record levels.
- Ethereum Addresses in Profit (1d MA) just reached an all-time high of 49,225,333.417.
- The previous all-time high of 49,145,540.708 was observed on 03 January 2021.
Metric Description: The number of unique addresses whose funds have an average buy price lower than the current price. “Buy price” is here defined as the price at the time coins were transferred into an address. Only Externally Owned Addresses (EOAs) is being counted, contracts are excluded.
Previous ATH of 49,145,540.708 was observed on 03 January 2021
— glassnode alerts (@glassnodealerts) January 4, 2021
Ethereum is a cryptocurrency designed for decentralized applications and deployment of smart contracts, which are created and operated without any fraud, interruption, control or interference from a third party.
- Ethereum 2.0 is an upgrade to the Ethereum network that helps in improving the network’s scalability.
- Through the implementation of several, efficiency, enhancements, scalability, and speed the Ethereum network becomes better without compromising its decentralization and security.
Ripple’s co-founder earned $411 million from selling XRP in 2020
Jed McCaleb was able to gain $411 million in XRP sales throughout 2020 bringing his total gains from selling XRP to $546 million.
Ripple co-founder and one of the largest owners of XRP, Jed McCaleb, gained massively from selling XRP in 2020.
What you should know
In spite of Ripple’s legal troubles with the powerful American financial regulator, Jed McCaleb was able to gain $411 million in XRP sales throughout 2020, bringing his total gains from selling XRP to $546 million.
- Highly revered crypto tracker, Whale Alert reported that McCaleb’s remaining XRP holdings along with the gains he made selling XRP stand at $1.2 billion, making him one of the richest individuals in the crypto-verse.
- It’s key to note that McCaleb left Ripple several years ago and went on to launch his own crypto company known as Stellar.
- As of the start of Q3 2020, he was selling an average of 1.74 million XRP daily which, at that time, was estimated to be worth $547,438.
- According to Whale Alert’s research, the co-founder still owns 3.274 billion XRP.
Meanwhile, the crypto asset has been losing value at record levels on reports that the world’s most valuable crypto exchange, Coinbase, recently announced that it wouldn’t allow XRP trading, in response to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission taking legal action against Ripple.
Coinbase further explained that,
- “XRP trading may be stopped earlier as needed to maintain the exchange’s market health metrics.”
Ripple in a recent press release, disclosed it was ready to fight the allegations issued by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission against the company.
- “The SEC’s decision to file this action is not just about Ripple, it is an attack on the entire crypto industry here in the United States. We’ve always said that there is a dangerous lack of regulatory clarity for crypto in the U.S. — their lawsuit has already affected countless innocent XRP retail holders with no connection to Ripple.
- “It has also needlessly muddied the waters for exchanges, market makers, and traders. The SEC has introduced more uncertainty into the market, actively harming the community they’re supposed to protect. It’s no surprise that some market participants are reacting conservatively as a result.”
ABCON urges CBN to stabilize Forex in 2021
ABCON has tasked the CBN to sustain its numerous drives and interventions targeted towards forex stability in 2021.
The Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON) has tasked the country’s apex financial institution, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to continue in its efforts of stabilizing the foreign exchange rates for economic growth.
The call was made by ABCON President, Alhaji Aminu Gwadabe during an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria.
What they are saying: Speaking to NAN, Alhaji Gwadabe said: “My advice is that the CBN should continue to expand the supply source of the buffers through deliberate and strategic plans in the Diaspora remittances.
“Emphasis should also be given to diversification to enjoy the full potential of the present Africa Continental Free Trade agreements.
“It should also partner relevant stakeholders on the adoption of newer technologies and digitisation of our Bureaux de Change sector for growth of the economy.
“Finally, it should enhance intelligence base approach for effective monitoring and supervision of the market,’’ he concluded.
In addition, Gwadabe urged the Federal Government of Nigeria to diversify its revenue base, considering non-oil export proceeds, diaspora remittances and sales of unprofitable assets.
What you should know: Nairametrics had earlier reported that various interventions by the CBN had helped to stabilize Naira at the black market, with CBN selling over $1 billion to BDCs since they resumed forex sales on September 2020.
Litecoin displaces XRP as 4th most valuable crypto
Litecoin is now the fourth biggest crypto by market value, standing at $10.425 Billion
XRP is obviously in troubled waters as it recently got displaced by Litecoin as the fourth-largest crypto, with lawsuits piling up against Ripple.
As at press time, Litecoin traded at $157.38 with a daily trading volume of about $10 billion. Litecoin is up 0.38% in the last 24 hours. It is now the fourth biggest crypto by market value, standing at $10.425 billion.
On the other hand, falling crypto asset, XRP at press time traded at $0.226762 with a daily trading volume of $5.4 billion. XRP is down 4.37% for the day, with a market value of $10.3 billion.
Leading crypto exchanges including, OKCoin, Coinbase, Bittrex, Bitstamp, OSL, CrossTower, and Beaxy are now staying far from XRP, thereby dampening market liquidity in the XRP market as those crypto exchanges listed above recently announced they would suspend trading for XRP, while others will delist XRP entirely.
Also compounding hard on Ripple are reports revealing that Tetragon, one of the lead investors in a $200 million Series C funding round for Ripple some years ago, has recently filed a complaint against the firm in court to “enforce its contractual right to require Ripple to redeem” Series C preferred stock held by Tetragon.
What you should know: Litecoin is a P2P crypto that allows instant, near-zero cost fee to anyone around the globe. It is open-source in principle, as its global payment network is fully decentralized without any central authority.