#EndSARS: Lagos arrests, lists 4 police officers who brutalised Surulere protesters
Sanwo-Olu has assured Lagosians that officers who brutalised a protester are currently facing disciplinary actions.
The Lagos State Government has arrested and is currently probing police officers that were involved in brutalising protesters at the Surulere protest venue.
This was disclosed by the State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, via his Twitter handle on Thursday.
According to the Governor, the Lagos Commissioner of Police arrested the officers and an orderly room trial has begun.
He tweeted, “The officers are; Inspector Bagou Michael; Inspector Ekpoudom Etop; Sgt Nnamdi Majura & Sgt. Akinyemi Benson. They are facing orderly room trials immediately and be rest assured that we will follow up on these trials.
“After meetings with the President, IGP, Lagos CP and the NGF today, I will like to sòrò soke about what we are immediately doing in Lagos to build trust, #EndPoliceBrutality and ensure we don’t have to address these issues again.
“It’s a time of sober reflection in Lagos and indeed across the country. It has taken a powerful youth led action to drive reform and hopefully begin the process that truly delivers a citizen friendly police.”
After meetings with the President, IGP, Lagos CP and the NGF today, I will like to sòrò soke about what we are immediately doing in Lagos to build trust, #EndPoliceBrutality and ensure we don't have to address these issues again. pic.twitter.com/g0wt3dHcu0
— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 15, 2020
Governor Sanwo-Olu listed seven decision taken by the state:
* Panel of Enquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS In Lagos: We have setup a 7 man panel that will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation. The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi.
Other members are: Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society); Rtd. DIG Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police); Ms Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Mr. Segun Awosanya (Human Rights Activist); Mrs. Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center); as well as a rep/member of the youth-led protest and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.
We are setting up a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel. From next week, you will be able to reach them directly on these dedicated numbers; 0901 051 3203; 3204 and 3205.
* Protesters: There were express instructions to Police in Lagos to cooperate with protesters and in situations where arrests are unavoidable, there must be full transparency and upholding of their legal rights.
If there is anyone still in custody, please bring it to my notice. Today’s unfortunate incident of thuggery is being investigated and we will bring to book those behind it.
* SARS: By order of the IGP, all members have been recalled to force headquarters. They will receive psychological examinations and a full review of their records.
If you find any SARS members or units still in operation in Lagos, please bring them to my notice. To avoid a rise in crime or kidnapping, a new unit will begin training next week that will not have any SARS members.
* New unit responsibilities: The new unit will be fully intelligence driven and will not be engaged in routine searches or violate any citizen’s rights to personal freedom. The police will announce criteria for the makeup of the unit or public recruitments involving the youth.
* Crimes of the disbanded SARS: The IGP is setting up a panel which will start work in the next couple of weeks to review all cases of police brutality and will work with citizens and civil right groups to be as transparent as possible in prosecution.
* Compensation for victims of police brutality: No amount of money can make up for their experiences but in Lagos, we have setup a N200m trust fund that will be managed by the panel set up to compensate victims of police brutality.
* Actions against officers involved in brutalising protesters: The Lagos CP has arrested the officers involved in brutalising protesters at the surulere protest venue and an orderly room trial has begun.
The officers are; Inspector Bagou Michael; Inspector Ekpoudom Etop; Sgt Nnamdi Majura & Sgt. Akinyemi Benson. They are facing orderly room trials immediately and be rest assured that we will follow up on these trials.
FG will not succumb to blackmail by bandits who target innocent school students – Buhari
The President has warned hostage-taking bandits that his government will not succumb to blackmail.
President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the Federal Government will not succumb to blackmail by bandits who target innocent school students in the expectation of huge ransom payments.
The President disclosed this in a social media statement on Friday evening, in reaction to the kidnap of students in Zamfara.
“Our primary objective is to get all the school hostages safe, alive and unharmed,” Buhari said.
Our primary objective is to get all the school hostages safe, alive and unharmed.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) February 26, 2021
He added that the FG had the capacity to deploy massive force against the bandits in the villages where they operated; however, the Army was limited by the possibility of heavy casualties of innocent villagers and hostages who might be used as human shields by the bandits.
“A hostage crisis is a complex situation that requires maximum patience in order to protect the victims from physical harm or even brutal death at the hands of their captors,” he said.
The President said bandits and terrorists should not entertain the illusion that they were more powerful than the government.
“They shouldn’t mistake our restraint for the humanitarian goals of protecting innocent lives as a weakness or a sign of fear or resolution.
“We will not succumb to blackmail by bandits and criminals who target innocent school students in the expectation of huge ransom payments,” he added.
What you should know
- It was reported that armed bandits kidnapped 317 female students at the Girls Secondary School, Talata Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State on Friday.
- The Commissioner of Police in Zamfara, Abutu Yaro, said, “We are doing our best along with all sister security agencies, members of the vigilantè group and the state government to get to the bottom of this matter.”
Kidnapped Kagara schoolboys and staff have been released
The abducted students and staff of Government Science Secondary School Kagara, in Niger State, have been released.
The kidnapped school students and staff of Government Science Secondary School Kagara, in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State, have been released according to sources.
This was disclosed in an exclusive report by Channels TV on Saturday morning.
According to the report, the release of the abductees was confirmed by a government official.
What you should know
- The students were abducted by the bandits dressed in military uniforms on Wednesday, February 17, 2021.
- A total of 27 students, three staff members, and 12 members of their family were abducted after the attack on the Kagara school in the early hours of Wednesday.
- President Muhammadu Buhari said that the Federal Government will not succumb to blackmail by bandits who target innocent school students in the expectation of huge ransom payments.
Imo State Governor says no life was lost during recent military operations in Orlu
The Imo State Governor has stated that no life was lost in the cause of the recent military operations in Orlu.
The Imo State Governor, Senator Hope Uzodimma, has said that no life has been lost in the cause of the recent military operations in Orlu.
This is as the governor, justified the recent invasion of Orlu town by the military, saying that the situation had gone beyond the local arrangement with the police being overwhelmed as sporadic shooting and killings persisted.
This disclosure was made by the Governor, while addressing reporters after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Tuesday, February 24, 2021.
He said that he had no choice but to alert the President on the need to send the military to help stop the mayhem and avoid a total breakdown of law and order in Orlu.
The Governor while addressing the press said, ‘’It was on my invitation that the military came and I did that because I know that the situation was beyond the local arrangement. We needed help and help were given to us. Those that came, through their intelligence, identified where those people were and I can tell you, all the people arrested, all the rifles recovered are intact. The people are under interrogation. Not even one soldier or one of those militants died in the process.’’
What you should know
- It can be recalled that the Imo State Government called for the intervention of the military over the criminal activities being perpetrated by suspected members of the Eastern Security Network.
- They are accused of using weapons stolen from police stations during the #EndSARS crisis to destroy Orlu, kill policemen and 4 Moslems doing their business in Orlu, all under the pretext that they are looking for herdsmen.
— tolu ogunlesi (@toluogunlesi) February 24, 2021
Follow us on Twitter
VP Osinbajo calls for provision of capital to grow businesses for long term
Demand for Bitcoin is growing high amid tightened supply
Sanwo-Olu says construction work on Fourth Mainland Bridge to start end of 2021
Ethereum whales increase their Ether holdings by 84%
How to register for FG’s N75 billion MSME survival funds
Cardi B accidentally leaks her nude photo amid whirlwind birthday festivities (18+)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Business News6 days ago
Moët Hennessy announces partnership with Jay-Z, acquires 50% stake in his Champagne brand
NEWS7 days ago
Billiri crisis: Buhari calls for parties to exercise maximum restraint
NEWS7 days ago
Herder crisis: Not impossible that non-Nigerian elements are involved – Fayemi
HOSPITALITY & TRAVEL7 days ago
NCAA lifts ban on Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, approves operation in its airspace
Coronavirus6 days ago
Lagos moves against false Covid-19 PCR test results, deploys verification platform
Business4 days ago
Lagos to totally close Third Mainland Bridge again ahead of full reopening
PAID CONTENT2 days ago
THE 2021 FEBRUARY GLOBAL RHAPSODY ONLINE PRAYER CONFERENCE
Coronavirus6 days ago
COVID-19: 4 million doses of AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine to arrive in Nigeria soon