President Buhari has reportedly revealed that 69 persons were killed in the #EndSARS protest across the country.
BBC reported that the Nigerian President disclosed this during a virtual meeting with former leaders and security chiefs on Friday October 23. He said that 51 civilians, 11 police officers, and seven soldiers were killed in the unrest.
Buhari was quoted saying in a statement released by Femi Adesina that the killing came off an “initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths which was hijacked and misdirected”.
It was further gathered that the Nigerian President who stated that his administration will not allow miscreants and criminals to continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country, accused the protesters of refusing to call off the protest in spite of meeting their demands.
The statement read;
”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.
”We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.
“The President thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ‘Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen’.
“Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.
“The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.
“The former heads of state also condemned the divisive and inciting pronouncements of separatists and were of the opinion that such acts should be stopped.
“Equally, the former leaders commended the actions taken by governors to address the demands of the ENDSARS protesters and their efforts to check the excesses of those who perpetrated violent acts and conduct.
“Finally, they called on youths to pursue peaceful means, in seeking redress through engagement with government and encouraged further conversation with the youths and other stakeholders in the country.”
#EndSARS: BBC has reported extensively on all sides of this story – Presidency
The Presidency has admitted that the BBC has reported extensively on the different sides of the #EndSARS protest and its aftermath.
The presidential media team announced that it had a meeting with BBC on its media coverage of the #EndSARS protests, and concluded that the BBC has reported “extensively” on all sides of the story.
This was disclosed by Garba Shehu, the spokesperson to President Muhammadu Buhari in a social media statement on Friday.
This may be seen as a U-turn from President Buhari’s speech earlier this week, accusing the BBC and CNN of being unbalanced with their reporting of the #EndSARS incident.
“Following concerns expressed about reporting of #endsars in Nigeria, the presidential Media team met with the BBC team to discuss the matter. We acknowledge that the BBC has reported extensively on all sides of this story. We are pleased that the BBC has heard our concerns,” Shehu said.
Following concerns expressed about reporting of #endsars in Nigeria, the presidential Media team met with the BBC team to discuss the matter. We acknowledge that the BBC has reported extensively on all sides of this story. We are pleased that the BBC has heard our concerns.
— Garba Shehu (@GarShehu) December 11, 2020
What you should know
- Themoneymetrics reported this week that President Muhammadu Buhari had said that the reports of foreign media organizations, including CNN and BBC, on the EndSARS protests were not balanced, and stated that he was disgusted at their coverage of the incident.
- Following an investigative report into the Lekki Shootings by CNN, the FG stated in November that the Army did not shoot at #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, describing the alleged mass killings as “a massacre without bodies.”
- The Federal Government also wrote a petition to the US-based Cable News Network (CNN), demanding an immediate and exhaustive investigation into its report on the Lekki Tollgate shooting, to determine its authenticity and conformity with basic standards of journalism.
#EndSARS: CNN and BBC report not balanced – Buhari
President Buhari has expressed his disgust at the allegedly unbalanced report of the post-EndSARS violence by foreign media.
President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the reports of foreign media organizations, including CNN and BBC, on the EndSARS protests were not balanced. and revealed that he was disgusted at their coverage of the incident.
President Buhari disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday evening, adding that he was disgusted at their coverage of the incident.
In his statement, Buhari expressed disgust that CNN did not give coverage to incidents of attacks on policemen by hoodlums and called the reports by CNN and BBC unbalanced.
It must be said that foreign press coverage of the ENDSARS violence was not balanced, especially from CNN and BBC. I was disgusted by the coverage, which did not give attention to the policemen that were killed, the stations that were burnt, and prisons that were opened.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) December 9, 2020
“It must be said that foreign press coverage of the ENDSARS violence was not balanced, especially from CNN and BBC. I was disgusted by the coverage, which did not give attention to the policemen that were killed, the stations that were burnt, and prisons that were opened,” he said.
What you should know
- Following an investigative report into the Lekki Shootings by CNN, the FG disclosed in November that the military men did not shoot at #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, describing the alleged mass killings as “a massacre without bodies.”
- The Federal Government also wrote a petition to the US-based Cable News Network (CNN), demanding an immediate and exhaustive investigation into its report on the Lekki Tollgate shooting, to determine its authenticity and conformity to basic standards of journalism.
#EndSARS: Bankers’ Committee, Private sector lead Lagos rebuilding team to raise trust fund
Governor Sanwo-Olu has constituted a team led by the Chairman of Citibank Nigeria, Mr. Yemi Cardoso to coordinate the recovery effort in Lagos State.
The Lagos State Government has set up an eight-man team to champion its rebuilding efforts, after several properties were vandalised by hoodlums, who had hijacked the #EndSARS protest.
The team is dominated by members the of Bankers’ Committee, and the Private Sector.
This was disclosed by the State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, via the state’s Twitter handle on Monday.
According to the Governor, who issued a statement after a meeting with the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and stakeholders, the proportion of the devastation suffered by the State is unprecedented. He added that the coordinated violence set Lagos economy – fifth largest in Africa – back by hundreds of billions of naira.
The team, which was led by the Chairman of Citibank Nigeria, Mr. Yemi Cardoso, was constituted a fortnight ago by the Governor to coordinate the recovery effort.
Sanwo-Olu said the consultative forum was to set the stage for the necessary public-private partnerships and collaborations required for the task of rebuilding and restoration of the infrastructure that was destroyed.
“The violence we witnessed last October is the most widespread carnage the State has seen in decades. Every aspect of life and livelihood in Lagos was affected – government buildings, offices, public monuments and historical archives, public infrastructure and very sadly too, private property and investments.
“The violence has, no doubt, set our economy back by hundreds of billions of Naira, and impacted our confidence. We have, however, found hope and great strength in the offers of assistance from far and wide, which culminated in the constitution of the Lagos Rebuild Committee to coordinate our efforts to rebuild and upgrade our state.
“We seek to restore the infrastructure that was destroyed, to revive the energy and confidence of everyone who has been affected by these losses, to help restore the confidence of the people of Lagos in the infinite potentials of Lagos. The State Government cannot do this alone. We need all the help that we can get.”
The Governor disclosed that the State Government would be setting aside a huge amount of money as the State’s collateral in the recovery effort, adding that the Cardoso-led team that will be coordinating the Trust Fund would be given legislative backing through an Executive Bill that will soon be transmitted to the House of Assembly.
“Money that will be donated into the Trust Funds would go into rebuilding and re-tooling security infrastructure, strengthening public transportation systems, restoring judicial and local government operations, rebuilding damaged public monuments,”he added.
Sanwo-Olu emphasised that transparency and accountability would be foundational elements in the implementation of the mandate of the rebuilding committee, stressing that the fund-raising and disbursement would be supervised by FBN Trustees Limited.
PRESIDENCY, CBN, LEGISLATURE BACK LAGOS RECOVERY EFFORT, AS SANWO-OLU UNVEILS TEAM
…Bankers’ Committee, Private Sector Champion Rebuilding Effort
…Cardoso: ‘We Have A Tough Task, But We’ll Achieve It’@jidesanwoolu#LASG #RebuildingLagos
Read More.. https://t.co/6Mv823tcqv pic.twitter.com/thCeD0DFSZ
— The Lagos State Govt (@followlasg) November 16, 2020
Follow us on Twitter
Dangote Sugar proposes N18.2 billion as final dividend for 2020
FG declares ‘no-fly zone’ in Zamfara, bans mining activities in the State
Dangote’s net worth declines by $1.2 billion in February
Ethereum whales increase their Ether holdings by 84%
How to register for FG’s N75 billion MSME survival funds
Cardi B accidentally leaks her nude photo amid whirlwind birthday festivities (18+)
Subscribe to Blog via Email
SPORTS3 days ago
Police raid FC Barcelona’s Camp Nou, ex-President, three others arrested
NEWS6 days ago
Kidnapped Kagara schoolboys and staff have been released
PAID CONTENT6 days ago
THE 2021 FEBRUARY GLOBAL RHAPSODY ONLINE PRAYER CONFERENCE
NEWS6 days ago
FG will not succumb to blackmail by bandits who target innocent school students – Buhari
Business5 days ago
VP Osinbajo calls for provision of capital to grow businesses for long term
CRYPTOCURRENCY3 days ago
No retreat no surrender, Ethereum explodes
Cryptocurrency News6 days ago
VP Osinbajo disagrees with CBN, calls for crypto regulation
CRYPTOCURRENCY5 days ago
Demand for Bitcoin is growing high amid tightened supply