Connect with us

NEWS

2021 WASSCE: WAEC concludes arrangements as 1.6m candidates register

Published

on

No fewer than 1.6 million candidates are expected to participate in this year’s West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) scheduled to begin on Aug. 16.

The Head of National Office (HNO) of West African Examination Council (WAEC), Mr Patrick Areghan, gave the figure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.

Areghan said that the council was working day and night toward accommodating some schools still bothering it with late registration.

He said that the development was taking its toll on the council’s operations.

Areghan said ahead of the conduct of the 2021 WASSCE, the council was working with relevant stakeholders to ensure a hitch-free WASSCE for school candidates, in spite of some challenges.

“As I have always said, conducting examination is not a tea party. It is a huge task and requires collaboration of all critical stakeholders, including the media.

“It requires a lot of preparations and even more, especially in the face of the rising cases of insecurity and the resurgence  of  Coronavirus pandemic in the country.

“In conducting this examination, we also want to ensure that the lives of all those involved, including council’s staff, and materials are properly secure.

“Our arrangement for the successful conduct of our upcoming examination, therefore, is in top gear as we are ensuring that we do not leave any stone unturned,” he said.

Areghan noted that examination conduct required money and other resources.

According to him, the entire process of conducting the examination – from the printing of examination materials, distributing them and ensuring security, to the recruitment of ad-hoc staff and printing certificates –  is a huge financial burden.

Areghan gave the assurance that WAEC would continue to do all it could to stay afloat.

”It is what the council has been doing, and we want to ensure we continue in that excellent tradition.”

He noted that the West African School Certificate was internationally accepted and required protection of its integrity.

”Therefore, in order not allow anything reduce that standard, we shall be collaborating with the federal and state ministries of health and education as well as the police and other security agencies.

”This is in a bid to ensure that all precautionary measures are in place before, during and after the examination,” Areghan said.

The HNO said that WAEC members had been meeting to fine-tune strategies that would ensure hitch-free conduct of the examination.

He urged schools and candidates to get themselves well prepared ahead of the examination, warning that the council would not tolerate any acts capable of undermining the integrity of the examination.

”There is no hiding place for cheats.

“We want to warn schools, students and even supervisors and invigilators that there will be no hiding place for anyone who tries to go against laid down rules for the conduct of this examination.

“We will surely catch that person, no matter where the malpractice is being carried out.

“We have in-built mechanisms to detect every act of cheating; cheats, when caught, will not get their results.

“Even if you cheat in our objective test, we will catch you, using technology. This technology is called the Item Deferential Profile; it has been there for quite sometime,” he said.

The HNO advised parents not to indulge their children and wards in cheating in examinations by providing money to source for the questions from fraudsters.

”We have carried out a lot of sensitisation, reaching out to parents not to give money to their children in an attempt to patronise rogue website operators and other mischievous individuals, who promise to help get to WAEC questions for them, before the examination.

“There is nothing like that. Some even go as far as saying WAEC normally posts questions on the internet.

“This is laughable and misleading. We have tried as much as possible to enlighten the world that there is nothing like ‘miracle centre’.

“This is a creation of the society and not the council.

“It may be existing in their subconscious but does not exist in our dictionary,” he said.

According to him, there has been no episode of leakage of council’s examination questions in Nigeria since the last, many years ago.

He said that what some sections of the public referred to as leakage during conduct of WASSCE, was the work of internet fraudsters, who registered and sat with genuine candidates in the hall.

“They are served the examination papers, they pretend to be writing the examination, while they manage to snap the questions in collaboration with their mercenaries outside.

“But these days, they no longer snap the questions; rather, they connive with some unscrupulous supervisors and invigilators, who help them to snap the questions, using their own handsets, and send, after which the fraudsters put the questions on the internet.

“These same supervisors allow some candidates into the halls with handsets, even when they know it is against the law, all because they have been compromised.

“However, the various ministries of education have been doing a great job in this respect, as they have been taking drastic measures on those found culpable, by either sacking outrightly or demotion,” he said.

The HNO warned that WAEC  would not hesitate to hand any suspect over to the police.

“We have a way of detecting those posting these things to the internet and go after them; that is why we always need the collaboration of the police,” Areghan said.

(NAN)

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

NEWS

NEMA records zero accident on roads in S/East in Eld-el-Kabir — Official

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says it recorded zero accident on roads within South-East during Special Operation Eagle Eyes for the Eid-el-Kabir celebration.

The South-East Coordinator of NEMA, Mr James Eze, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Enugu after debriefing NEMA’s 25-man staff deployed for the operation.

According to Eze, no accident was recorded on major road corridors within the South-East during the period of the operation.

He said: “Although it was herculean covering the four major road corridors during the Eid-el-Kabir celebration and holidays, however, I must commend the resilience of NEMA staff in the zone.

“We recorded no accident on any of the four major expressways we covered during the operation.

“NEMA staff in collaboration with the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) carried out massive education on good road habits to motorists. Motorists really appreciated it,” he said.

The coordinator also lauded motorists for heeding to the call to minimise speed and accommodating other road users during the Eld-el-Kabir holidays.

“With very few exceptions, most motorists displayed high level of responsibility on the major road corridors covered in the five-day period,’’ he said.

Eze also hailed the collaboration of the Agency and FRSC, adding that it was seamless.

“We look forward to greater working synergy with FRSC, other agencies and commissions that deal with safety and response to emergencies.

“Collaboration is the key in order for agencies and commissions to tap from the strength and best practices of each other,’’ he said.

NAN recalls that the Special Operation Eagle Eyes tagged: “Safe Eid-el-Kabir’’ lasted for five days, from July 18, until July 22.

The major roads covered included: Enugu – Abakaliki Road; Enugu – Awka – Onitsha Road; Enugu – 9th Mile – Nsukka – Obollo-Afor Road and Enugu – Umuahia – Aba – Port-Harcourt Road.

The Federal Government through NEMA staged the operation in collaboration with FRSC to ensure hitch-free flow of traffic and Nigerians getting quick emergency response to issues on the major roads.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

NEWS

Investment in education remains a priority – President Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has stated that his administration’s priority would be improving the quality of education in the country. 

The President disclosed this on Thursday, in his hometown of Daura, in Katsina State, while receiving the proprietress, principal and students of a private school, Premier Pacesetters School, Daura, at his residence. The President gave assurances that more emphasis will be given to the improvement of education. 

What President Buhari said

“We will allocate an increasing share of resources to improve learning in the country in our effort to reform the educational sector,” he said. 

The President emphasized the importance of character, in addition to learning, urging the students not to lose sight of the aspirations of the country.

The school proprietress, Mrs Celine Friday, commended the special attention given to education by the Buhari administration and urged for federal government assistance to private schools in rural communities. 

In case you missed it

  • In the last few years, there have been several cases of kidnappings of school children in the northern part of the country by Boko Haram terrorists and bandits, giving the Federal Government grave concern on measures to take to protect school children in the region.
  • President Buhari has continued to insist that the Federal Government is working hard to bring an end to the school kidnapping trend in Nigeria and urges the Military and the Police to go after the perpetrators of this crime.
Continue Reading

NEWS

Ransomware: Hackers demand $50 million in Crypto from Saudi Aramco

Published

on

Saudi Aramco, the world’s largest oil firm, has had a data leak in which one terabyte (TB) of the company’s data has been collected by hacks and the hackers are demanding $50 million from Aramco to delete the data, which is now being offered on the dark web for a starting negotiable price of $5 million.

What you should know

Saudi Aramco acknowledged the data leak yesterday according to the Associated Press (AP). They stated that they “recently became aware of the indirect release of a limited amount of company data which was held by third-party contractors.”

The company did not disclose the information of the third-party contractor and they did not confirm whether or not the contractor was hacked or got the information through another source.

“We confirm that the release of data was not due to a breach of our systems, has no impact on our operations and the company continues to maintain a robust cybersecurity posture,” Saudi Aramco added.

The AP also stated that through their investigations and their access to a page on the dark web, they confirm that the amount of data leaked is equivalent to 1 terabyte of data. On the same page, they confirmed that the perpetrators offered Aramco an opportunity to have the data deleted for $50 million in cryptocurrency, while another timer counted down from $5 million, which is likely an effort to pressure the company.

The perpetrators are yet to be unmasked and the Aramco has not shared any other information at this time.

Bottomline

This is not Aramco’s first rodeo with hackers, as the company was a victim of a cyberattack in 2012. The company was attacked by a computer virus called the “Shamoon.” The virus deleted hard drives and after, displayed a picture of a burning American flag on computer screens. The attack was costly to Aramco as they had to shut down their network and destroy over 30,000 computers.

This year, it was reported the cyberattack on Colonial Pipeline in May, in which the company paid the hackers knowns as “DarkSide” $5 million but the U.S FBI managed to recover $2.3 million in cryptocurrency of the money paid.

Saudi Aramco is trading at SR34.90, down 0.29% as of the time of writing this report.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement unmute the video for sound
Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 96 other subscribers

Trending